Getting your California driver’s license is an exciting and important milestone in your life. However, before you can hit the road, you’ll need to go through the process of obtaining your license. Here are the requirements you’ll need to meet to get your California driver’s license in 2023:
- Age Requirement: To be eligible for a California driver’s license, you must be at least 16 years old.
- Complete a Driver’s Education Course: If you’re under 18, you must complete a driver’s education course approved by the California DMV. The course must be at least 30 hours long and include at least six hours of behind-the-wheel training.
- Pass the Written Test: Once you’ve completed a driver’s education course, you’ll need to pass a written test to obtain your learner’s permit. The written test consists of 46 multiple-choice questions, and you must get at least 38 questions correct to pass.
- Hold a Learner’s Permit: You’ll need to hold a learner’s permit for at least six months before you can apply for your driver’s license. During this time, you must complete at least six hours of behind-the-wheel training with a licensed driving instructor and 50 hours of supervised driving with a parent or guardian, including at least 10 hours of driving at night.
- Pass the Driving Test: After holding your learner’s permit for six months, you can take your driving test. The test includes a driving skills test and a vision test. You must demonstrate that you can safely operate a vehicle and follow the rules of the road.
- Provide Required Documents: You’ll need to provide several documents to the DMV when you apply for your driver’s license, including proof of identity, residency, and Social Security number. You can find a list of acceptable documents on the California DMV website.
- Pay the Required Fees: Finally, you’ll need to pay the required fees to obtain your driver’s license. The fee for a driver’s license in California is currently $36 for a basic Class C license.
In summary, to obtain your California driver’s license in 2023, you’ll need to meet the age requirement, complete a driver’s education course, pass a written test, hold a learner’s permit for at least six months, pass a driving test, provide required documents, and pay the required fees. Good luck on your journey to becoming a licensed driver!